Monday, November 7, 2011

I Am Not Ashamed: Thoughts on the Sandusky Scandal

In August 2007 I auditioned for the Penn State Blue Band. I barely made the cut.

For the next four years I had the honor of representing The Pennsylvania State University at numerous sporting events including three bowl games, a trip to Ohio State, and the basketball team's NCAA tournament appearance in Tucson.

Each time I put on the uniform I did so with pride and honor. Whether it was marching down University Drive on the way to Beaver Stadium or in Pasadena for the 2009 Rose Bowl, spectators cheered for the band and what we represented.  Even after losing to USC in the Rose Bowl, many Trojan fans told us how much they respected Penn State and the Blue Band.

Needless to say, I am shocked at the despicable actions alleged at members of the Penn State administration. If true, Curley and Schultz should be severely punished for covering-up such heinous actions. However, it is a shame that they have already been crucified in the court of public opinion. The media, nor many in the public seem to remember or care that our judicial system prides itself on the mantra "innocent until proven guilty."

We should all demand answers but do it in a professional and civil way that reflects well on the university. In the heat of the moment we all jump to conclusions and let emotions control our thoughts and words. Only reasoned logic and a thorough review of the facts will lead us to the final conclusions that will emerge in the future.

While public opinion of Penn State will no doubt suffer in the coming weeks, months, and years, we must unite as a university to show the world that We Are better than these few men. The actions of a few do not define the greatness that is Penn State.

From the philanthropy of THON to the fervor of our sports fans, Penn State touches the lives of millions of people across the earth. It is these events and experiences that do not make me ashamed to be a Penn State alum. I will continue to wear my Penn State pride on my sleeve no matter what transpires from the scandal. I am proud of what I gave to the university and what the university gave to me in my four years. I had the best four years of my life at Penn State and will continue to support the school as much as ever. The bond between Penn Staters will be tested as these events run their course. But what makes Penn State great is its ability to endure and persevere through hard times. Penn State will rise again, and the bond that solidifies our "We Are" cheer will grow stronger.

In the wake of these horrible events, we must stand together as a proud group of Penn State students, faculty, staff, and alumni and demonstrate that we truly live by our alma mater's lyrics.

May no act of ours bring shame
To one heart that loves thy name,
May our lives but swell thy fame,
Dear old State, dear old State. 

No comments:

Post a Comment