Friday, April 27, 2012

Stats, Stupidity, and Shaving Cream

It is that time of year again. The time of year I attempt to blog consistently about the Yankees and inevitably end up failing by the summer. The good news? My longest Yankees blogging streak was last year and it lasted into July. So maybe I'll aim for August in 2012.

I've realized that my goal of blogging about every game with grades on each one was a bit over ambitious so I'm going to relegate it to series or "whenever I see fit" (aka "I don't know when I'll have time so this covers everything"). However, I will still be grading the Yanks for each game (although I won't be posting about each game) and do plan on issuing monthly "report cards" on the team.

So, as a little sneak preview here are some of the stats (Subjective grades) I've compiled thus far. A more comprehensive report will be forthcoming once April is.....OVER! (Blue Band reference)

I have used a simple GPA system for grading. A+ = 4.33, A = 4.00, A- = 3.67, etc. Yes you can get an F, that would be 0.00.


Offense thru 4/27: 3.12
Starting Pitching thru 4/27: 2.60
Bullpen thru 4/27: 3.47

Best Starter: Nova with a 3.50

Clearly the starting pitching has not been up to par and if I have time this weekend maybe I'll put together some stats on how the Yanks rate thus far in that department...it isn't pretty.

On a more timely note, good win for the Yanks tonight. Too bad Joe West can't get out of his own way. Like many, I can't stand the man and he is a terrible umpire who cares more about himself than the game. The prime example of that was when Russel Martin was plunked with a foul ball tonight and instead of Joe West walking the ball out to Mariano (the common practice--when either an ump or catcher gets nailed the other gives the victim a little time to shake it off), Joe decides to just keep on playing the game. We wouldn't want the game to go on any longer than necessary, would we Joe? Especially since he finds the Yanks/Red Sox 4hr+ games unprofessional. Jeez...what a joke. The MLB should get rid of him...oh wait he is the president of the World Umpires Association.

Now that that rant is complete...the Yanks did have a nice win tonight on the walk off wild pitch but no pies were forthcoming. I mean, you can't really pie Avila can you? Seriously though, that would have been hilarious for Swish (who may be taking over the pieing duties from AJ) to find Avila and hit him with some shaving cream. Wonder if AJ will be the pier in Pittsburgh...I mean, what else is he good for anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment